Rough Water was bred and raced by Edward P. Evans, for whom she won 2 of 9 starts at 2- and 3-year-old, including a maiden special weight over Little Belle, who would go on to win her next three starts, including the Grade 1 Ashland (and who is now the dam of Grade 1 winner Dickinson). Rough Water also finished ahead of the ill-fated Eight Belles while running 2nd in a 2-year-old maiden special weight. Both of Rough Water’s wins came at a mile and 70 yards, and she earned $92,680.
Rough Water is out of Grade 3 winner Panama Canal, who produced the stakes-placed winners Gran Tenor and Last Out of Panama. Panama Canal, in turn, is out of Grade 1 winner Colonial Waters, a half-sister to Grade 1 winner Southern Sultan and Grade 2 winner Iron Constitution (who was 2nd in the Preakness). Colonial Waters is the ancestress of Grade 1 winner Success Brocken, Grade 3 winner Sal the Barber, and Grade 1-placed 2-year-old Sweet Shirley Mae.
Rough Water is by Stormin Fever, a Graded stakes-winning son of Storm Cat and the sire of Champion Biofuel and Grade 1 winner Sweet Talker. Stormin Fever is also the broodmare sire of Grade 2 winner Venus Valentine and numerous other stakes winners.
Rough Water herself has produced 5 winners from her first 5 foals. Her produce record is as follows:
- 2010 Gadget Girl (filly by More Than Ready) — a $300,000 2YO in-training, she was a winner at 3 and earned $44,479.
- 2011 Risque Reality (filly by More Than Ready) — a $360,000 yearling, she was a winner at 2 & 3 and earned $111,690.
- 2012 A Few Good Friends (filly by Quality Road) — a $170,000 yearling, she was a winner at 4 and earned $76,223.
- 2013 Jersey Chaser (filly by Drosselmeyer) — she has 7 wins so far, from 3- through 5-years-old, earnings of $93,150.
- 2014 Serious I Candy (filly by Candy Ride) — a $325,000 yearling, she won twice at Oaklawn in 2018 at 4, earnings of $61,869.
- 2015 Deeply Devoted (filly by Paynter) — so far unraced.
- 2016 Pretti Savi (filly by Paynter) — so far unraced.
- 2017 Deep Diver (filly by Daredevil) — Maryland-bred filly was a $29,000 RNA at the ’18 Keeneland September Sale.
- 2018 Navigatethenarrows (filly by Verrazano) — Maryland-bred filly will likely be offered at the ’18 Timonium December Mixed Sale.
Rough Water is currently in foal to Cupid for 2019 — you can read here why we chose him for her next mate.
You can check out more photos of Rough Water here.